Maybe I can share something...

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Stewart Varnado Remembers Anthony Burger


Anthony Burger was one of the greatest pianists that Gospel Music has ever had, and I’m proud that I had the honor of calling him a friend. He wasn’t just a friend, but was also one of my heroes. Anthony Burger, along with Roger Bennett and Derrell Stewart, hold a special place in my heart, as my 3 heroes. Everything I do seems to be a mixture of their styles and accomplishments. Anthony encouraged me from the first time I met him, He played a duet with me on my first instrumental album, he invited me to join his Pianorama at NQC, and he wrote quotes about me in publications. He did all of this for some young red headed kid who he didn’t have to take time to fool with, but he didn’t mind putting others in the spotlight. I will be forever grateful to Anthony Burger for all that he has done for me and I’m glad to have been able to hang out with him many times. I spoke with him about a week ago, since he was playing on my newest recording with me. Losing Anthony is a tremendous loss for all of Southern Gospel Music. He had just sent me a copy of his new dvd, and I had watched it the night prior to his death, And I had been putting all of my old Kingsmen VHS tapes onto DVD earlier that day. So I had been watching and listening to his music all day, and after hearing the news it was such an extreme shock!

Thanks Anthony for all you have done for me and thanks for being a friend! I’m sure that Anthony has found a Steinway in heaven and is holding a Pianorama with Wally, Hovie, and all the greats!

Stewart Varnado
Dixie Echoes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home