Maybe I can share something...

Monday, May 19, 2008

Until You've Known The Love of God

Tonight I was surfing through the vastness of cable television programing choices most of us insist we have at our disposal. I guess we feel the need to have several hundred channels at hand so hopefully we can find something to watch that suits our fancy. But it absolutely amazes me, with all these choices it's difficult sometimes to find something worth while to watch. Which certainly was the case tonight. So when this does occur I usually turn to the plethora of gospel music videos I've acquired over the years which covers the majority of gospel music history. Tonight I felt like stepping back to the "good 'ol days" and watched several hours of the Happy Goodman Family. One song in particular; written by the late Rusty Goodman; just seemed to strike a chord with me tonight. I fell in love with the lyrics of this song the first time I heard them. Luckily I had the privilege to sing this song many, many nights with the Dixie Echoes. Randy "Scoot" Shelnut, Jr. absolutely sings his heart out in the Dixie Echoes version, and I love hearing him sing it. No matter the location people always connected with this song. But there's something about hearing the writer of the lyric sing it himself. So I thought I'd just share these wonderful lyrics with all two of you that read this blog. But it's worth sharing none-the-less.

Until You've Known(The Love of God)

If you could own all the world and its money
Build castles tall enough, they'd reach the sky above
If you could know everything there is to know about life's game
Still you'd know nothing till you've known God and His love

Until you've known the loving hand that reaches down to a fallen man
And lifts him up from out of sin where he has trod
Until you've known just how it feels to know that God is really real
Then you've known nothing, till you've known the love of God

Now if in your lifetime you could meet everybody
And you could know every name from here to yon
But if you've not come face to face with Jesus and His saving grace
Then you've known nothing till you've known God and His love

6 Comments:

  • I was listening to that the other day....by Larry Ford. He did that song pretty good too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:50 AM  

  • ~ Alan (forgot to put my name down, haha)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:50 AM  

  • guess I am #2..I am Joyce from texas. we heard this song first at a Dixie Echos concert in Jamestown North Dakota in about 1970. We bought the 33-1/3 rpm album and have listened to it 100's of times over the years. We just may be singing "Until You've Known the Love of God"
    in church tomorrow. Thanks for the lyrics. Blessings to you and yours.

    By Blogger texas-jc, At 8:42 PM  

  • I remember playing and replaying my record with Jeanie Langford singing Until You've Known the Love of God.
    Wonderful memories...

    By Blogger Michael Valdez, At 10:40 AM  

  • MY GRANDFATHER SANG WITH THE STAMPS BAXTER MIXED QUARTET, SO I WAS RAISED ON THIS KIND OF MUSIC. I HEARD THE 2005 ALBUM WITH THIS SONG. I WAS DRIVING WHEN THIS SONG CAME ON AND IT MOVED ME SO MUCH THAT I HAD TO PULL OFF THE ROAD UNABLE TO SEE THRU THE TEARS. BEFORE THE DAY WAS OVER I HAD LEARNED THE SONG AND AM LOOKING FOR A SING-ALONG CD.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:41 AM  

  • Thank you for this blog. I am the music director and pastor's wife for a very small church in East Texas. It's early Sunday morning as I am preparing for the service for which we have an evangelist today. I have been feeling that the direction God is wanting me to take our music is "back", not necessarily to the old hymns but back to the songs that were considered "specials" when I was a girl. This song happened to be one that my grandparents would sing in little country church all over East Texas. She would play her old, standard guitar, and he would lead. I covet those memories today. Something in me keeps saying don't let that era die. Thank you for you honest blog. I remember the Dixie Echoes concerts in Lufkin, Texas. I was just a girl but I sure enjoyed myself.We may try this song today. Again, THANK YOU!

    By Blogger Mecheal Dickerson, At 8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home